Healthy Oil Respecter style chili
Updated: Feb 6
- 2 lbs of ground beef (I used 90/10)
- 1 lb of sirloin steak
- 2 med/large zucchini's
- 1 med/large butternut squash
- 1 16oz jar of diced tomatoes
- 1 16oz jar of spaghetti sauce (I use Thrive Market or Victoria's brand)
- 1 med/large onion (2 if also using to top chili- I used red)
- Salt, pepper & The New Primal chili seasoning (link below) or you can use a mix of paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder & cumin.
Heat a large pot on medium heat adding a tablespoon of beef tallow or cooking fat of choice. Dice one onion and add to the pot. Cut the sirloin steak into small cubes and saute with onions for 1-2 minutes then add all ground beef. Add all seasonings generously and chop ground beef until mostly cooked through. Next add jar of diced tomatoes and stir to combine turning heat down to low/med. Dice zucchini and butternut squash and add to pot mixing to combine. Add a little bit more seasoning and let simmer on low for about an hour.
This recipe will make about 10-12 portions and takes about 2 hours from start to finish. Sometimes I prefer to bake the butternut squash and mash it smooth prior to adding it to the chili for a thicker consistency. Make sure to top with your favorite toppings- sometimes we top with sour cream, cheese, hot sauce and/or raw red onion. If you are looking for some extra carb, sweet potatoes are a great side to this meal or Siete tortilla chips.
The New Primal:
The healthy oil respecter